So I learned today that if you're getting a refund, there's no penalty for not getting your taxes in by today's deadline. But why would you want the government to keep your money any longer than they already do?
With that question in mind (and a few others) I present my Tax Day 2014 Playlist.
!. Sunny Afternoon by the Kinks (This is a very cute video).
2. 1040 Blues by Robert Cray with the clever line "I hate taxes"
3. Taxman by the Beatles. (Just to mix things up here's Stevie Ray's version!)
4. After Taxes by Johnny Cash. Everything you can't buy because taxes are so high.
5. What if We All Stopped Paying Taxes by Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings. I'm pretty sure I don't advocate this extreme option, but it's a pretty good song!
There's a preacher in Texas who's a little freaked out about tonight's lunar eclipse, and the three that follow every six months over the next two years.
He thinks it's a signal of the end of the world!, and has even written a book about is theory.
I think it's just a good reason to stay up late (or get up early). Starting at 12:20 tomorrow morning, this astronomical phenomenon will begin.
Here's your new big word for today--"tetrad." That refers to the four "blood moon" eclipses that we can look forward to between now and September of 2015.
Now I don't really go for end of the world prophecies, because if I did, what would prevent me from having a chocolate milk shake every day with lunch?
Meanwhile, I was watching a special on PBS the other night featuring Jason Isbell of the Drive By Truckers. He says when he dies, he doesn't want it to be in a Super 8 Motel. That's also a bad place to be if it's the end of the world. On the other hand, you wouldn't have to worry about being late for check-out time, would you?
Oh, spring, you dirty little flirt. You gave us a taste of your sunshine and warmth yesterday, but now you are gone, faster than doughnuts in the breakroom of a radio station.
Are you as ready for spring as I am? Take my little test and see.
TOP FIVE SIGNS YOU'RE REALLY REALLY SICK OF WINTER
1. You hate all your sweaters. And they hate you back.
2. Comfort food no longer gives you comfort. Mac & cheese and chili are so February.
3. You're out of Tom and Jerry mix.
4. You're pretty sure you just saw the image of Jesus in the piles of snow along your driveway. (Or maybe it was Justin Bieber).
5. You're considering taking your relationship with your snow shovel to the next level.